Last Fall, FirstWorks Soccer Inc. started the first Georgia Soccer Recreational travel team on the West-Side of Atlanta where poverty and crime are high. The goal was to give youth the opportunity to play the game at a higher level than they had experienced. We use Soccer, Exposure, and Character building to attain 100% High School graduation, 100% employment and a strong soccer experience.
Players celebrating after our first win
Last season we lost every game. Despite that, our players maintained an awesome morale as our goal supersedes soccer even though we are intentional about developing each player. This season, we split our team into U14 and U16 age groups. We were successful in only registering the U14 team.
We started the season with a 8-0 loss. However, our team bounced back on Saturday, March 11th winning our first game by 1-0. This was a joyous experience given the repeated losses. We are looking to build on this.
Thanks to our partners listed below for your support of our program. Your support is helping to bring hope and exposure to young men and women who need positive influence in their community.
Some of our 2017 initiatives include:
- Purchasing a van to ease transportation challenges
- Feeding players after all practices and games
- Purchasing video equipment to record and share precious moments
- Tutoring Students having challenges in school on practice days
- Implementing Math, Reading, and Writing Summer Camps
- Purchasing a screen printing equipment to empower our to design and sell T-shirts that will provide us a source a funding but also provide them a return.
- Partnering with schools in the community to recruit more students into the program
Executive Director, FirstWorks Soccer Inc.